How can physical distancing help during COVID-19 pandemic? Physical distancing helps limit the spread of COVID-19 – this means we keep a distance of at least 1m from each other and avoid spending time in crowded places or in groups.
What is the purpose of social and physical distancing as defined by the World Health Organization?
Social and physical distancing measures aim to slow the spread of disease by stopping chains of transmission of COVID-19 and preventing new ones from appearing.
These measures secure physical distance between people (of at least one metre), and reduce contact with contaminated surfaces, while encouraging and sustaining virtual social connection within families and communities.
What are some social distancing methods to prevent the spread of COVID-19? Methods include quarantines; travel restrictions; and the closing of schools, workplaces, stadiums, theatres, or shopping centres. Individuals may apply social distancing methods by staying at home, limiting travel, avoiding crowded areas, using no-contact greetings, and physically distancing themselves from others.
Can masks prevent the transmission of COVID-19?
Masks should be used as part of a comprehensive strategy of measures to suppress transmission and save lives; the use of a mask alone is not sufficient to provide an adequate level of protection against COVID-19.
If COVID-19 is spreading in your community, stay safe by taking some simple precautions, such as physical distancing, wearing a mask, keeping rooms well ventilated, avoiding crowds, cleaning your hands, and coughing into a bent elbow or tissue. Check local advice where you live and work. Do it all!
Make wearing a mask a normal part of being around other people. The appropriate use, storage and cleaning or disposal of masks are essential to make them as effective as possible.
- How can physical distancing help during COVID-19 pandemic? – Additional Questions
- How is the COVID-19 disease transmitted?
- How long does the virus that causes COVID-19 last on surfaces?
- What are some preventative measures for COVID-19?
- What can I do to prevent COVID-19 during grocery shopping?
- Can asymptomatic people transmit COVID-19?
- What is the meaning of airborne transmission?
- What does ‘local transmission’ mean during the coronavirus disease outbreak?
- Can COVID-19 be transmitted through food?
- What are the known coronaviruses that can infect people?
- What are coronavirus diseases?
- What are coronaviruses?