Did Einstein say that the most important decision we make is whether we believe we live in a friendly or hostile universe?
Practice #3 (The Einstein Practice)
Albert Einstein is said to have remarked that the single most important decision any of us will ever make is whether or not to believe that the universe is friendly. What’s remarkable about these words is that they come from one of the most brilliant scientists who ever lived.
Is the universe benevolent?
No, the universe is neutral; it simply is; it is indifferent to you. You must care about and adapt to it, not the other way around. But reality is “benevolent” in the sense that if you do adapt to it—i.e., if you do think, value, and act rationally, then you can (and barring accidents you will) achieve your values.
Did Einstein say a human being is part of the whole?
“A human being,” wrote Einstein in reply, “is a part of the whole, called by us “Universe,’ a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest — a kind of optical delnsion of his consciousness.
- Did Einstein say that the most important decision we make is whether we believe we live in a friendly or hostile universe?
- Is the universe benevolent?
- Did Einstein say a human being is part of the whole?
- What did Einstein say about the human mind?
- Did Einstein say our separation from each other is an optical illusion?
- Does the past still exist somewhere?
- What is the biggest illusion of life?
- What is the biggest illusion in the world?
- Why is separation an illusion?
- Did Einstein say I didn’t arrive at my understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe through my rational mind?
- What is the best illusion in the world?
- What are the illusions of life?
- Is our universe an illusion?
- Is the world an illusion?
- Did Albert Einstein say reality is an illusion?
- What did Einstein say about the future?
- Why did Einstein say time is an illusion?
- Is time real or an illusion?
- Is our future already written?
- Can time be stopped?