Sharks are top or “apex” predators in the marine ecosystem. This is because they have very few natural predators. A cascade effect naturally occurs in a balanced, healthy ecosystem, whether it be marine or terrestrial.
What shark is at the top of the food chain?
“What our research has found is that the great hammerhead shark is in fact the ‘shark predator’, it confirms that they are at the top of the food chain and highlights that their role in our coastal ecosystem is absolutely crucial.”
Are tiger sharks at the top of the food chain?
An apex predator is the top predator in a food chain and that has no other predators. A tiger shark, for example, is considered an apex predator.
What do sharks do for the food web?
As apex predators, sharks play an important role in the ecosystem by maintaining the species below them in the food chain and serving as an indicator for ocean health. They help remove the weak and the sick as well as keeping the balance with competitors helping to ensure species diversity.
- What shark is at the top of the food chain?
- Are tiger sharks at the top of the food chain?
- What do sharks do for the food web?
- What happens if sharks go extinct?
- What eats a shark?
- What are sharks main source of food?
- How does sharks hunt for food?
- How do sharks eat food?
- Do sharks eat everything in sight?
- Has a shark ever saved a human?
- Are sharks afraid of dolphins?
- Can sharks sleep?
- Can sharks drown?
- Can sharks breathe if they stop swimming?
- How long are sharks pregnant?
- Can sharks change gender?
- Can 2 female sharks have a baby?
- Do sharks have 2 wombs?
- Do sharks fight to be born?
- What shark only has one baby?